ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: removing deprecated stuff
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2001 07:47:07 GMT
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>

> On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Why don't we provide a simple API that simplifies maintaing this
> > deprecated messages,
>
> Of course, there is no other option IMHO.
>
> > something like:
> >
> >     public void deprecated(String message, String version) {
>
> I'd use some final integral type constants for Ant version instead of
> performing string matches (so that you can calculated the value "two
> releases before this one"), otherwise, I pretty much agree with the
> idea.

What I guess we need to provide is that major releases (e.g., 1.3 , 1.4)
while bug fixes do not (e.g., 1.4 , 1.4.1 , 1.4.2 ).

What to do about new versions? (e.g., 1.x , 2.x , 3.x)
Should -legacy work in such a case? I would argue no.
The reason being that I do not believe we can guarantee removing all deprecated
code ever written, and if something gets pass the release, I do not want to
keep on maintaining it just because it made it to 2.0 by accident.

Sound paranoic, but ....

Jose Alberto