ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Generic Element Containers (generalization of TaskContainer)
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 21:59:18 GMT
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Today the way we deal with this is to add new methods to <condition>
> > every time we define a new <conditional> quite unmanageable when we
> > keep on adding more and more conditions, almost unmannageable now
> > that we may have two or three different containers, and really
> > unmanageable if we ever provide pluggable user defined conditionals.
>
> In the condition case, this isn't all as bad as you describe it as all
> "containers" (five right at them moment as long as you don't count my
> <if> task) extend from a common base class that handles it.
>
> I think, it is commonly agreed, that we will need a typed registry for
> these kind of things sooner or later.

Well, I was asking for one sooner (in ANT 1.x).

And by the way, in case it was not clear, the only problem I had with Peter original
proposal (the one involving <role/> definitions) is that by having a dynamic DTD
we will loose the avility to provide a DTD agains which the XML descriptor
can be easily validated. I know we can always do the validation by hand,
but it is nice to be able to rely on a DTD.

Besides that, the only difference between both proporsal are mostly syntactic
sugar.

Jose Alberto