ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Immutability
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2001 21:21:34 GMT
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:
>
> All I want is to make sure that we don't remove the ability to change
> property values from the public API (and deprecating the only way to
> do so, says we are going to remove it).

Well, the fact that we deprecate the old API and put a new one in place
without mutability, does not mean that we cannot change our minds
in the future and add "setPropertyMutably" or "changeProperty"
or whatever in the future. It is not the first tme we *add* new APIs.

The problem I have with opening the door to mutability is that once
tasks start to appear using mutable behaviour (even if core does not use it)
people will have to think for each task whether is has side effects or not.

We can try to keep the core as consistent as possible, but can we be sure
that mutability will not sneak-in in a patch to fix something and the guy
just uses this API instead of the other? Once the door is there you will need a guard
at the door. So I prefer no door at all, until we have a case for having such door,
then yes, thake the wall down and open a door. :-)

Jose Alberto