ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types
Date Sun, 30 Dec 2001 15:42:30 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>

Specfically, http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=100897943010533&w=2

> probably would have been useful to show code snippets as I talk better in
> code ;)

Well, the code is there now and you have expressed your opinion ;-)

> Not a -1 more a -0. If you want to fix it then do it if you don't consider
it
> in need of fixing then feel free to ignore me ;)

I guess I will just back them out so that we can discuss this further.  But
here
is how I look at it.  You pass a non-numeric string to a setter that takes
in, say,
Integer as parameter, it is still going to 'validate' it to see if it a
numeric
or else throw a NumberFormatException.  So, in effect, SrcFile et al. hasn't
really introduced as yet an unseen/unknown concept.

> If the ant task itself is used outside ants container it is likely going
> have issues anyway. Both Ant1.x and Ant2 will most likely continue to
behave
> in this manner so I don't consider this a great loss.

We have suggested that we will be working to provide API support in the
1.9 action plan.
http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/ant2/actionlist.html#embeddor

> Do whatever you feel like - I was basically just saying - erk!

Then, erk it is ;-)

Cheers,
Magesh