ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Curt Arnold" <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Re: C/C++ task
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2001 02:21:53 GMT
There have been a couple of other C++ tasks that have been submitted for
consideration over the last few months and the response has been mixed.
There are some that feel that a C++ task is a distraction to Ant, others
think a good C++ task would be very useful.

You might want to review some of the recent threads on the topic,
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&w=2&r=1&s=gcc&q=b should be a start.

I had really good intentions to try to take the best features of the two
other C++ tasks and set up an area on the ant-contrib project at SourceForge
to try to work in the features that I would like.  My criteria for success
would be that Ant could be used to build Xerces-C and Xalan-C on all
supported platforms.  Of course, that would require the participation of
quite a few people, since I don't have a OS/390, AS/400 or 20 other
different platforms.

One of the things that seemed missing from the other tasks is a way to
specify compiler specific flags for multiple compilers in the task,
something like

<cpp...>
    <flags compiler="gcc" os="Win32" processor="x86" flags="..."/>
    <flags compiler="vc6" os="Win32" processor="x86" flags="..."/>
    <flags compiler="gcc os="Linux" processor="Alpha" flags="..."/>
</cpp>