ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Ant2] scoping of properties
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2001 08:08:09 GMT
On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 18:42, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> From this thread, it seemed we could agree on most parts
>
> could you summarize?

I wanted to put it up for a formal vote once I had a feeling for the
target scope issue.

So far you, Conor and I agreed that we needed build file scope and
make hierarchical scope explicit (with properties set on the command
line and <param> within <ant>).

And then there is <projectref> - could you expand on this as well
please.

> If we wanted we could easily block all possibility of tasks
> implementing scope unlss they wanted to go to absurd lengths.

True.

If we implement TaskContainer (and therefore target) scope inside the
core, we should do that.  If we leave it to the containers, we leave
it to the containers.  I'm trying to collect the pros and cons of both
approaches.  TaskContainer scope will of course be needed by things
like an <iterate> task.

Stefan