ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Javadoc task not correctly interpreting ** in paths?
Date Fri, 23 Nov 2001 08:34:51 GMT
On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Matthew Kuperus Heun
<matthew.k.heun@gaerospace.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to use the javadoc task with "Ant version 1.4.1 compiled
> on October 11 2001".  I don't think it handles "**" characters or
> implied "**" characters

<javadoc> is not a "directory based task", it doesn't support filesets
or patternsets.

> in pathelements of a nested sourcepath element.

<path> and <pathelement> don't think that ** would be something
special, they'll go out and look for a file with two consecutive * in
their name.

> See the snippet of my build.xml file below for the comments which
> discuss the errors I receive.

I see the snippet, but cannot understand what you want to achieve
there - trying to avoid listing the source directories explicitly?

>          <!-- The next line should be equivalent to the above code
>          that works.  But, it fails, saying "No packages or classes
>          specified." -->
>     <!-- <pathelement path="${basedir}/src/"/> -->

why should it be equivalent? From your description, there is no com
directory inside of ${basedir}/src/, therefore the package
specification com.foo* won't match here.

>          <!-- The next line should be equivalent to the
>               above non-working code because of the implied "**",
>               but I receive a different error message, namely
>               "build.xml:38: /Users/matt/Dev/JavaDocTest/src/** not
>               found." -->
>     <!-- <pathelement path="${basedir}/src/**"/> -->

See above - you don't have a directory named
/Users/matt/Dev/JavaDocTest/src/** on your machine, do you?

Stefan