ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: removing deprecated stuff
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:54:44 GMT
On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 19:26, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:
>> > ... and we can't get them to upgrade their builds.
>>
>> why not?  Even if you supply them with a patch to their build file?
>
> we don't always know who "they" are.

I was talking about OpenEJB where I think you know "them" quite well
8-)

> The people I am thinking of don't want to upgrade because they
> "experienced" the early ant days. Every week would bring new
> developments to ant ... and break the old build files and it was a
> constant battle to keep your build working - remember those days ?

Sorry, I've been there these days and I've often heard this, but it
simply is not true - The only real changes that had an impact on your
builds was (1) the removal of the "init" target and (2) making
properties immutable.  After that - and long before we released Ant
1.1 - it has been quite stable.

> Anyways the philosophy is basically - why "fix" something that isn't
> broken?

Well, Ant 0.3.1 is broken 8-)

Stefan