ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: assertion changes
Date Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:24:58 GMT
On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:

> I was about to say on a pre 1.4 system if fork =false then you know
> the target JVM version, and so can ignore the settings, but of
> course you cant turn asserts on that late into the game.

And Ant will print a warning: "JVM args ignored when same JVM is
used." in that case, which is a good thing IMHO.

> What you can do on a pre 1.4 box is warn the user that bad things
> are going to happen.

I think it is even more complicated than that, we can do the
following:

* If a different VM has been specified (using the jvm attribute), we
have no idea which version that is going to be.  Print a warning.

* If no VM has been specified, we can be almost sure that this is
going to be the same VM version we are currently using (as
CommandlineJava uses the system property java.home to select the java
executable).  This one will work for all system I've been using Ant
on, I have no idea whether it will fail on Windows or Netware.  If we
could trust CommandlineJava, we could ignore the arguments completely
in a non-1.4 environment (and print a warning).  If we cannot trust
the algorithm, all we can do would be to always print a warning.

Stefan