ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 1.5 and the Java 2 Platform
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2001 08:40:02 GMT
On 4 Nov 2001, Magesh Umasankar <umagesh@rediffmail.com> wrote:

> Also rt.jar ships with FTPClient, FTPInputStream, etc.  (part of
> sun.net package tree).

Which we shouldn't depend upon at any point in time IMHO.

I don't know whether the sun.net classes are part of the codebase that
is licensed by IBM, HP, Digital (err Compaq, uhm HP) and others that
provide JREs for their platforms - and we should discourage
independent implementations like Kaffe or Japhar or whatever.

> Though I agree there may be some such platforms, nixing
> compatibility for Java 1.1 was voted for in Ant2.

FreeBSD is one of the most important ones, especially since it is the
platform of choice for some Apache developers 8-)  (yes, I know that
you can run the Linux VMs on FreeBSD).

> Wont these platforms have had the same problems if
> Ant2 is, say, being released in the next 3-6 months?

Yes - although I don't see an Ant release in the next 3-6 months 8-(.

> Collections

Not needed for Ant 1.x IMHO.

> Also, some com.sun.image.codec.jpeg classes!

Use JAI instead - this is available for JDK 1.1 as well (and is easier
to access).  Do you want to write an Ant task that creates images?

Stefan