ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: removing deprecated stuff
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:17:06 GMT
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Stephane Bailliez <sbailliez@imediation.com>
wrote:

> What's the point of marking things as 'deprecated' if we don't want
> to do anything about it but wait for a major release to break
> everything...

Giving a heads up for things that will be broken?  Making the ouput as
ugly as possible so people are going to change their build files?

> There will be a -1 to remove deprecated stuff.

count mine as a -0, not a veto.

As a random thought: Add a new command line switch -old or something.
Unless this one has been specified, throw a BuildException wherever we
have been printing deprecation warnings in Ant 1.4.1.  This will make
living with these warnings even more painful.  I'm not convinced I
like this idea myself, but it could partly resolve this issue.

Stefan