ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] Input task to read input from System.in during build run. Can exit build or create property from input.
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:43:16 GMT
On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Ulrich Schmidt <ulrich.schmidt@gmx.net> wrote:

> Input task allows user interaction during the build process by
> displaying a message and reading a line of input from the
> console (System.in).

Well, a long long time ago we wanted to abstract the input system out
into a system taht allows a GUI frontend to live on top of Ant, a
browser frontend a ...

As there always seems to be something that is getting a higher
priority, we may as well include this task to at least have something
to get us started.

> Optionally a set of exit arguments can be defined via the exitargs
> attribute.

This is where it overlaps with <fail>, I'm not sure how we want to
deal with it.  We had a similar discussion with <available> - in some
situation it may be better to have a fail attribute on <available>
then to use a marker property.  Back then we decided against the fail
attribute of <available>.

> Optionally a property and or userProperty can be created from the
> value entered by the user.

No userProperty, please.  These should strictly be reserved for
properties set on the command line or via the child elements of <ant*>
IMHO.

Stefan