ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [IDEA] Polymorphic types
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:04:16 GMT
Some first comments only, as I'm a little bit under pressure right
now.  In particular, I haven't had time to look at the code.

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Conor MacNeill <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
wrote:

> Basically what this patch does is the following: When a nested
> creator cannot be found for a particular nested element, a check is
> done to see if the element corresponds to a datatype.

That would finally add some real value to <typedef>.

> If it does, a search is done for a superclass of the datatype for
> which the class does have an addXXX style creator.

Could you also extend this to interfaces?  That way we could come up
with an interface for FileSet or whatever and only write addXXX
methods for the interfaces.

> Similarly, I can have classfilesets in jars without changing the
> <jar> task.

But I'd probably want to use them in a <classes> element of a <war>
task, this is a point where interfaces would come handy.

> It isn't perfect since some tasks use rolenames in their nested
> elements

Yep.

> For these tasks, the current method of refids needs to be
> used.

That would work, or we can come up with something more explicit.  No
idea, though.

Stefan