ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: removing deprecated stuff
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 00:19:49 GMT
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
>
> deprecation does not imply that we are removing the
> functionality. Just that
> it is unsafe, unsupported whatever or perhaps we just prefer you
> write build
> files like this rather than that.

I have to disagree. Deprecation is an indication that a feature is going to be removed and
its future use is not supported. Further it is, IMHO, a warning of a small backward compatability
break in a controlled fashion.

If we could never remove such features, then why bother deprecating at all? Is it just to
make the build output ugly? An example below from Tomcat build. Why do we make the users who
do bother to upgrade continually jump through hoops changing attribute names to avoid warnings?
Is it just because *we* feel "file" is better than "jarfile"? How conceited we are then!

So, if we are not going to remove deprecated features, I would vote that we remove deprecation
warnings. They are useless.

Conor

deploy-static:
  [fixcrlf] DEPRECATED: The cr attribute has been deprecated,
  [fixcrlf] Please us the eol attribute instead
  [fixcrlf] DEPRECATED: The cr attribute has been deprecated,
  [fixcrlf] Please us the eol attribute instead

deploy-main:
      [jar] DEPRECATED - The jarfile attribute is deprecated. Use file attribute instead.
      [jar] Building jar: D:\antdev\jakarta-tomact-4.0\build\jasper\jasper-compiler.jar
      [jar] DEPRECATED - The jarfile attribute is deprecated. Use file attribute instead.
      [jar] Building jar: D:\antdev\jakarta-tomact-4.0\build\lib\jasper-runtime.jar