ant-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Dawson <tdaw...@wamnet.com>
Subject RE: [Ant2] Tasks as siblings of <target>
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2001 16:50:41 GMT
> a) restrict the possible tasks inside init to just those required (which
> doesn't include all those property/available/etc) which most people would
not
> find useful
> b) make thse constructs tasks which would require tight coupling between
> runtime and tasks which would unduly restrict future evolution

I disagree. There's no reason to make such a restriction that I can see.
In fact, the property/available/etc. might be required in order to do task
definitions properly.

Right now, its possible to define a task after building it in the same file.
Or at least it was with 1.3, I haven't tried it in a while because I'm on
some new projects that don't need that.

Executing the init target (if defined) would validate it (it would fail if
it wasn't valid). You could then validate the rest of the file. Problem
solved,
as far as I can see.

> c) not intuitive - imagine you had to search through a
>    java file for an init method and inside that was located
>    all the java import statements.

No, I think its very intuitive. Imagine you had a method in every
object that could get called when its created. Oh, wait, Java does have
those, they're called constructors. :-)

Tim

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001 09:12, Tim Dawson wrote:
> Another issue that was raised that I don't quite understand is that
> supposedly preprocess/validation requires top-level tasks. I mean,
wouldn't
> it be possible to just execute the init target, and then validate all the
> other targets? this is effectively what happens if you have top level
> tasks.

Then you would need to

--
Cheers,