ant-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Dawson <tdaw...@wamnet.com>
Subject RE: [Ant2] Tasks as siblings of <target>
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 09:56:57 GMT
Peter Donald writes:
> > In fact, the property/available/etc. might be required in
> order to do task
> > definitions properly.
>
> -1

How about an explanation of your reasoning?

How about if I use an environment entry that is required to
find the location of a jar file that has my tasks in them?

> > Right now, its possible to define a task after building it
> in the same
> > file. Or at least it was with 1.3, I haven't tried it in a
> while because
> > I'm on some new projects that don't need that.
>
> it will still be possible in ant2 but the standard approach
> will be to use
> <import/> (like import for java). Thus hopefully the use of
> oldstyle taskdef
> will be minimized.

How, then, will this be possible if you plan to do up-front
validation, i.e. before the task has been defined? Or does it
simply note that a taskdef has occurred with the name and
continue on? sounds like a lot of hardcoding in the parser
to me.

> > Executing the init target (if defined) would validate it
> (it would fail if
> > it wasn't valid). You could then validate the rest of the
> file. Problem
> > solved,
> > as far as I can see.
>
> the solution to problem is to avoid problem? I don't see that
> as a good
> thing. We want to validate the build file as much as we can
> before execution
> starts.

I'm sorry, I don't see why we *need* this. Can you point me to the
relevant thread where this was decided so I don't have to have
you explain it to me?

> > > c) not intuitive - imagine you had to search through a
> > >    java file for an init method and inside that was located
> > >    all the java import statements.
> >
> > No, I think its very intuitive. Imagine you had a method in every
> > object that could get called when its created. Oh, wait,
> Java does have
> > those, they're called constructors. :-)
>
> eh?
>
> You were talking about "supposedly preprocess/validation
> requires top-level
> tasks". These constructs are not tasks but import statements.
> What place do
> they have being in a constructor ?

fair enough. I was thinking about another thread related to defining
properties (i.e. build instance variables) inside the init target
(i.e. constructor).

Tim