ant-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Watkins <robert.watk...@qsipayments.com>
Subject RE: <available> / <condition> breaking immutability
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2001 03:36:05 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> Agreed.... thats why I'm bringing this up.
>
> But if we let <tstamp> change properties, then why not <available> and
> <condition>?
>
> If we let everything change properties then we might as all
> be writing our
> build scripts in Perl!  :)
>
> Property immutability is what makes Ant powerful - I'm just
> not sure where
> to draw the line.  And apparently this isn't a black & white issue.

The particular case of using <tstamp> to time builds is probably better
handled by a listener. Extending, say, the XML logger to put a timestamp
against each message would be fairly easy.

Even using <tstamp>, you could still achieve the same effect with immutable
properties simply by using a different property each time.

Robert.

--
     "Duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side, a dark side,
                   and it holds the universe together"