ant-dev mailing list archives

From thomas.che...@ascentialsoftware.com
Subject XML include in build.xml files
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2001 18:01:05 GMT
I am kind-of new to the Ant world but I already start to like it. I am
currently experimenting with ant1.4.1 to
replace our current build environment (MKSToolkit + gmake).
I end up looking at ant source code, and started to modify it to push my
experiments.
I will send multiple emails on the modifications that I did since they are
not all related to each other.

This first modification is related to the inclusion of xml documents into
build.xml files using public
identifier instead of only system identifier. It seems that being able to
create reusable pieces of build.xml files is
very useful. Only problem with that, the path of those reusable xml chunks
needs to be hardcoded in each build.xml files.
Using a catalog to map public identifier to system identifier will
centralize this information. The modifications that
I did are the following:
	- add -catalog option to Main.java to specify a catalog file (public
to system identifier mapping)
	- add a Hashtable member variable mapping public to system
identifier to the project class (so it can be passed
on to sub-projects)
	- modify resolveEntity in ProjectHelper to check with Project object
if a public to system identifier mapping
is available (when public id is not null).

Do you agree that such feature is useful?
I did not find any other ways to share class path definitions, target or
task commons to multiple build.xml, and things
like that. Loading properties from a file is working well but only for
properties, and calling targets in another
build.xml will work only if the targets are 100% parameterized and even like
that, basedir and other top level properties
will be changed because of a different build.xml, and I think it will be a
problem at some point).

Thanks for any feedback.

Thomas