ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <sbaill...@imediation.com>
Subject RE: removing deprecated stuff
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:50:30 GMT

If you mean by safe that I can screw up an XML that has nothing to do with
an Ant file.
The answer is simple, of course 'yes' applies.

If you are asking me if I can screw up some Ant build file, I answer "yes,
probably".

If however I had 50 files to update, I would not hesitate a second to use
such a XSL.
Files are under source control it's not like doing a change will break
things forever.

And about completion, well, as I said in the comments, I probably missed
some. I just took the manual and look at all tasks in italic. Feel free to
share your thoughts.

[...]
> thats nice - I definetly disagree. I think maintaining backwards
> compatability in same major version is a good thing. We have
> fixed points
> where we break backwards compatability. ie
>
> Ant1.x -> Ant2.x -> Ant3.x

Ok, this is fine for me, though a little bit cleaning from time to time does
not kill. :-)

> exolab is just an example - I suspect you could ask Sam/gump
> peeps to see the
> full range of ant versions used in the projects it manages.
> And remember that
> these projects represent a best case example (ie Sam
> regularly submits
> patches to the projects to get them building in line and the
> projects tend to
> be more uptodate "open" projects).

Wow...you are fast in conclusion.
These projects do not represent at all a best case example.
They just represent a sample of entropy since they are absolutely not
coordinated.
They have nothing in commons...It's not like all these modules were made
from the ground up to work together and therefore use a common set of third
party and all synchronized together with defined milestone.

[...]
> The problem is that is no small amount of work ... in fact it
> is a MASSIVE
> undertaking. If you really want to do it then no one will
> stop you - but
> don't underestimate the amount of effort required to get it
> done right and
> tested. And it is also relatively boring work ;)

Obviouslly I have better things to do than wasting my time in something that
no one really cares about.
Especially since I think there is absolutely no big deal with migrating from
deprecated tasks to non-deprecated tasks. :-)

Stephane