ant-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Vernum <Tim.Ver...@macquarie.com>
Subject RE: Ant1.9 Refactoring?
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2001 06:57:28 GMT

From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]

> There is clearly a need to do something to experiement but it
> is clearly not
> something we can do within the main trunk.

+1

> Perhaps there is another alternative.

I guess the sandbox will do for that, although it could be hard for
non-commiters.
This isn't likely to be the type of thing that amounts to a single
patch.

> * making the names of the attributes/elements consistent

+0

> * creation of cullers/selectors. ie they select items out of
> a fileset
> accoring to specific attributes - like are they readable? do
> their contents
> contain the word "class"? were they last modified after time X?

+1

> * creation of infrastructure to support *coloring* and other
> "environment" based dependency stuff

+0

> * creation of generic infrastructure to support "structural" based
> dependency stuff

+1

> * refactoring some of the classes into beans so that no task directly
> references another task

+0

> * abstract notion of item sets from dependset, fileset and so forth

+0
What is the motivation for this (other than it sounds nice)
Is it to allow set operations?

> * creating a VFS/URL layer that tasks can use to access
> resources independent
> of what they are (ie files, inside a zip, on ftp server etc).

+1E10

I just did a major rebuild of my home PC and I'm itching
to do some deep hacking on it, so who knows, I might
come up with something this weekend.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of Macquarie
Bank or third parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email you should not
read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and
should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie Bank does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may