ant-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Vernum <Tim.Ver...@macquarie.com>
Subject RE: <sed> task
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:23:27 GMT

> Hello Tim, i'm checking some FAQs os sed to write the task
> but there're different commands for each OS that sed was
> built.

This is true, BSD and SysV versions of sed are different.

There is however a sed standard.
It's in posix, so you could find the correct POSIX guide and
implement it from that.
I don't think they're freely available though.

> If you now some good resource about sed's commands
> please let me known!

Try
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi
and check the man pages for different Unix versions.
If you check Linux (GNU sed), Solaris, and FreeBSD
then you'll probably get a good range of implementations.

*However*
I think that writing a java based implementation of sed
just so it can be used in ant is a very strange idea.

If someone wants to implement sed in java, then go ahead,
but I'm not sure why that would be useful.

The reason that a sed task was requested was really to
allow for some regexp searching/replacing rules.
I think it would make more sense to write a new mini
language that takes bits of awk and bits of sed, and
then write a task for that.
The learning curve would be steeper, but I think it
would be a better idea.

The information contained in this email is confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you may not disclose or use the information in this email in any way.  Macquarie Bank does
not guarantee the integrity of any emails or attached files.