ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject RE: <available> / <condition> breaking immutability
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2001 18:51:29 GMT
At 01:36 PM 11/27/2001 +1000, Robert Watkins wrote:

>The particular case of using <tstamp> to time builds is probably better
>handled by a listener. Extending, say, the XML logger to put a timestamp
>against each message would be fairly easy.
>
>Even using <tstamp>, you could still achieve the same effect with immutable
>properties simply by using a different property each time.

Either of these solutions will work, but only by adding unnecessary
complexity for the user. And why? Because you are trying to keep your
conceptual view of what a "Property" is as straightforward as possible in
the design.

A design should be as simple as possible, but no simpler. When the tradeoff
is between elegance of design and ease of use for the user, I'm thinking
you are going for too simple.