ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: <available> / <condition> breaking immutability
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2001 02:32:18 GMT
At 08:41 PM 11/26/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Here are some things within Ant's core that rely on property mutability:
>
>     <tstamp>

I'm not sure this is what you are proposing, but if you change <tstamp> so
that DSTAMP and TSTAMP become immutable, you will lose what I consider a
very valuable ability. Right now, you can find out how long each section of
your build takes, which can be very valuable information. It let's you make
optimizations more effectively, for example.

What I am talking about is something like this:

   <target name="build" depends="init,checkout,compile />

   <target name="init" >
     <tstamp />
     <echo message="Started Build - ${DSTAMP} ${TSTAMP}" />
   </target>

   <target name="checkout" depends="init,do-checkout">
     <tstamp />
     <echo message="Finished Checkout - ${DSTAMP} ${TSTAMP}" />
   </target>

   <target name="compile" depends="init,do-compile">
     <tstamp />
     <echo message="Finished Compile - ${DSTAMP} ${TSTAMP}" />
   </target>

Well, you get the idea. This is quite useful information to have and I'd
hate to see it go just because you are chasing after the hobgoblin of
consistency.