ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bevan Arps <>
Subject RE: [Ant2] Tasks as siblings of <target>
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2001 22:33:01 GMT
At 16:12 1/11/2001 -0600, Tim Dawson wrote:
>This was actually my original request that kicked one of the earlier threads
>that morphed into this one. Actually, I used "init" as the attribute to keep
>away from the spelling (i.e. initialise vs initialize) controversies.  :-)
>Someone had a problem with this because what if "getReady" had
>depends="foo".  But I didn't really think that would be much of a problem.

I think that it would be a significant problem if "getReady" couldn't have

For me, a significant benefit of an init target (however implemented) would
be the ability to check the environment of the build script and give
reasonable error messages if things aren't set up as expected.

examples that I would immediately use
-- Check xerces/xalan are available
-- Check that Delphi is installed
-- Check that TidyHTML is available

The whole Ant model for conditional processing is to use multiple targets -
one that checks a condition and sets/doesn't set a property to suit, and
other targets to act on the property being set/unset.

If the init target can't have dependencies, then how can these conditional
checks be implemented?

Keep Smiling,

"Programming is an Art Form that Fights Back"

Bevan Arps (<>
Senior OO Analyst, ACT Financial Systems

This communication  is confidential  to ACT  Financial  Systems  (Asia
Pacific)  and is intended for  use only by the  addressee.   The  views and
opinions  expressed in  this email  are the senders  own and do not