ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: [Vote] Copy task and remote files
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 13:14:19 GMT
Magesh Umasankar wrote:

> I have attempted to summarize what's been discussed
> with respect to <copy> handling remote source files.
> 8 & 9 are something that I have been thinking about but not
> gotten around to discussing yet, but others have been
> discussed.  These points of view have been expressed:
>
> Please vote on which of the following is preferred:
>
> 1.  Let <copy> work on local files only.

+1

> 2.  Let <copy> work on local files as well as remote files.
> Remote files may be dynamically generated ones too.

-0. There is some value in maintaining separate tasks, I think. It
maintains a distinction between local (cheap) operations and remote
(expensive) operations, even if at some semantic level it is a similar
operation. I do not have a strong opinion, though.

> 3.  <copy> must do all that <get> does.

-1

> 4.  Deprecate <get> after making sure <copy> does all that
> <get> currently does.

-0. Well, I don't know why we deprecate anything at the moment :-)

> 5.  Introduce new attribute "srcUrl" to identify the
> source URL to copy from.

+0

> 6.  Overload "file" attribute such that it decides whether
> to treat value as a java.io.File or java.net.URL (At least 2
> committers and 1 developer have recommended against it)

-1

> 7.  Provide "username" and "password" attributes to <copy> so that
> Basic authentication for http urls can be performed, when needed.

-1

Besides the expectation that this will create regarding OS level
permission overriding, urls are capabale of embedding usernames and
passwords. May not always be practical :-)

> 8.  Introduce subelement <urlset> to be used within <copy>
> <urlset>
>     <include name=http://blah.net/x.java" username=x" password="y"/>
>     <include name="file://d|foo.bar/>
> </urlset>
>
> At this moment urlset doesn't do anything smart - it just acts as a
> collection of urls.

-0.

> 9.  If <urlset> is used, do not add the attributes url, username, password.

+0

> 10.  Throw build exception if URL patterns that don't make sense for copy
> are used - for example mailto:

+1

Conor