ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Craeg K. Strong" <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject Re: Smarter Javac
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:46:18 GMT

>On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 Peter Donald wrote :
>
>Not necessarily - One should identify the arguments that truly change the
>color of the command - for example, let me use a task with 'CacheId' Foo,
>during its first run did something equivalent to:
>
>javac -g Bar.java
>
>and in its second run did
>
>javac -g -classpath FooBar.jar Bar.java
>
>and in its third run did
>
>jikes FooBar.java
>
>In this case, only the attributes to this task, javac (compiler) and
>-g (debug) make it to the coloring - claspath and files may be
>safely ignored.  What I mean is that the first two runs are identical
>in 'color' while the third run is not.  What makes a color list is
>those attributes that changes the outcome of the command in a
>fundamental manner.

Interesting. ... just so I understand, some additional examples of
colorings might be:

a) a command-line option to rmic that controls whether some setup code
was automatically
   generated into the stubs from the Interfaces or not

b) a parameter to an XSLT transformer that is used to control the width
of the page margins
    in the generated HTML files

Case (a) is a hypothetical command-line option to rmic, but one we would
know in advance.
Case (b) is something dreamt up by the implementer of the XSLT script,
that would require
some way to specify a coloring in the build script.

Is this, generically, what you had in mind?

--Craeg