ant-dev mailing list archives

From Per Thomas Jahr <pe...@newmad.no>
Subject Support for JavaMake in Ant (for better dependency checking)
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:07:09 GMT
Hi, I've found some experimental code from Sun at this site:

   http://www.experimentalstuff.com/

On their site they have something called Java Make Tool that will keep
track of dependencies in class files.

   http://www.experimentalstuff.com/Technologies/JavaMake/index.html

The make tool is packaged in one jar file (javamake1.2.jar), it's
platform independent (of course) and its invoked by java -jar
javamake1.2.jar <options>. I have tested it with both javac and jikes.

As I understand it Ant only has a very simple form of dependency
checking (it compares the timestamp of the java and class files). Would
it be a good idea to support this command line tool in some future
release of Ant? It would be nice to have support for it in the compile
target.

Per Thomas Jahr