ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Albrecht, Matt" <matt.albre...@zilliant.com>
Subject RE: fail task
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2001 00:02:03 GMT
(OT: this should be put in ant-users, but since it was posted to ant-dev...)

Oh, it's not that difficult.  Just make some "global" ant code:

	<target name="unless-failure" unless="${failure.property}">
		<antcall target="on-failure" />
		<fail message="Property ${failure.property} does not exist:
${failure.message}" />
	</target>
	<target name="if-failure" if="${failure.property}">
		<antcall target="on-failure" />
		<fail message="Property ${failure.property} exists:
${failure.message}" />
	</target>
	<target name="failure">
		<antcall target="on-failure" />
		<fail message="${failure.message}" />
	</target>
	<target name="on-failure">
		<!-- insert failure cleanup code -->
	</target>

Then, instead of directly using a <fail> task, use something like:
	<antcall target="unless-fail">
		<param name="failure.property"
value="required-property-name" />
		<param name="failure.message" value="You must provide this
property in order to run the build!" />
	</antcall>

Yet, if this is nearly universal functionality, it begs the question:
shouldn't it be easier and more standardized?

Or perhaps the external linking needs to be encouraged to develop Ant
libraries written in Ant!

-Matt Albrecht