ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Manifest Created-By - interesting jGuru question
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:08:30 GMT
On Sat, 1 Dec 2001 13:08, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> Usually I tackle all the jGuru questions myself, but this one seemed
> interesting enough to cross-post over here:
>
>     http://www.jguru.com/forums/view.jsp?EID=568077
>
> Anyone want to respond to that one either directly at jGuru or here?

My browser doesn't seem to like the jGuru site ... really got to update
sometime soon. However my response would be;

"Manifest-Version:" defines the version of the the manifest format.

While the specs do indicate that "Created-By:" should define vendor and
version of JDK created using this is only because the writers of the spec
never invisioned that jars would be created by tools not part of jdk. Because
all jdks have a jar tool giving JVM version + vendor is enough to identify
the tool that created the jar. As ant has it's own jar implementation which
is not tied to any particular tools the "Created-By:" needs to use some other
information to identify the tool that created the jar - in our case I believe
it is something like "Created-By: Ant 1.4.1" or similar ?

BTW what ever hapened to jGuru generating XML dumps of the FAQs so that we
could resync our faq periodicly ? Is that still go?

--
Cheers,

Pete