ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Immutability improvement patch
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 17:48:28 GMT
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:08, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> Well, here it is, the patch I worked myself into by bringing up the
> immutability issues.

excellent - just applied!

> I would love to add <available> to this patch - just say the word!  :)
>
> The warning messages probably aren't as big and bold as Peter had
> requested, so feel free to modify them to your liking.

3 line annoyances done!

> Not that much code changed, and my test cases should exercise things
> reasonably.

almost. You missed a case. When <antcall/> uses propertys internally it will
display a warning when it shouldn't. I have reattached your test file with a
small demo and you test it by running test8

Im not sure what the best way to fix this is. What do you think?

As soon as you figure out a way around this I will apply and that will get
rid of all those pesky deprecation warnings that now appear in ants own build
file ;)

> I think I've taken care of all the tasks that we mentioned - and because
> setProperty was modified to issue a warning when a property override
> occurs, the tasks that still call setProperty (like <junit>) will get that
> message when overriding a property (but not otherwise).

kool.

> I'll go back and check all the e-mails on this topic tomorrow to make sure
> all the bases have been covered.  The one loose end is that getProperties
> and getUserProperties return back the actual Hashtable object - so to close
> that hole we need to make it return a copy instead.  Anyone object to that
> copy being made and returned?

+1 to copy ... is there an actual use case for grabbing all properties
anyways?

BTW could you name your patches something more specific (like
immutability.patch) - I got so many patchfile.txts it is not funny ;)

BTW2 would you consider making immutability.xml part of a Junit testcase ? ;)

BTW3 would you mind sending apatch for WHATSNEW to describe these features

BTW4 maybe even add a FAQ entry because I am sure the new warnings are bound
to cause a few quesions ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete