ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Should ANT2 be ANT3
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:56:53 GMT
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:19, Jon Skeet wrote:
> > I am more than happy to be one of those 3 people and could
> > put in enough work to get it going - any volunteers for the
> > other two positions ? ;)
>
> I'd like to volunteer in a slightly unusual way.

woohoo!

>I have a fairly minimal
> amount of experience with ANT1, being mostly just a user with a few
> build scripts I wrote a while ago and haven't had to touch in ages. I've
> contributed a few patches, but nothing earth-shattering. I haven't been
> following the ANT2 discussions at all, so far.

sounds good so far ! ;)

> Does this make me an ideal candidate or a totally useless one?

Neither - it makes you are candidate ;) You decide whether it is ideal or not
by your actions ;)

> Pros:
>
> o I can approach the ANT2 design documents

design documents ? we were meant to create design documents? No one told us
that ! ;)

>in a similar state of
> blissful ignorance to that which a new user might have. This may help to
> force some clarification of design decisions which have either been
> taken but not documented, implicitly assumed (with everyone assuming the
> same thing) but not documented, or

yep.

> (worst case) implicitly assumed (with
> everyone assuming different things) but not documented.

theres a few of those.

> Cons:
>
> o Catch-up time compared with developers who've been following
> everything and already know the directions.

this can be alleviated if you just want to focus on a little part at a time.
I'm sure people will be happy to point out anything you miss.

> (I've left aside any general pros and cons concerning myself. If you
> want an example of a project I've worked on in order to check whether I
> can code at all, you could have a look at
> http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/java/jbench if you like. If you don't like
> my style of coding or whatever, that's fine :)

server times out ? But I am sure all is good ;)

> I have no problem with not being part of this - I'd be perfectly happy
> to wait and "receive" ANT2 with gratitude when it is released. If,
> however, you'd like someone with a "clean sheet" perspective on things,
> I'm more than happy to help.
>
> (If it's relevant, I'm in the UK. I realise that could have some
> implications in terms of group communications etc.)

Im in Australia, I know a few developers are in europe and another few are in
the US so it is likely that we will communicate on ant-dev 90% of the time.

> Feel free to reply to me directly if you wish, or on the list otherwise.

Heres what I will do. As soon as I get some time (maybe Sunday afternoon?) I
will write up a list of tasks/objectives that need doing. Some of them will
be a bit boring (ie refactoring some of Java/Exec stuff into beans) while
some will be a bit more fun (ie create a virtual filesystem layer - possibly
based on netbeans stuff) or a bit more thinking (ie how do we design feature
X).

Hopefully I will chuck in enough information that you should be able to get
started easily enough. If not feel free to prod us ;) Most of these things
will not be controvertial things just a lot of grunt work, experimentation or
refactoring.

However you should feel free to;
* reuse existing work (if you want)
* throw it all out and start from scratch
* reuse existing projects (ie VFS from netbeans if it is suitable).

Anyways most of this stuff should get you started and if you want more - feel
free to ask ;)

I will also try to write up a basic "feel"/guidelines of how tasks will be
written in ant2. While this will not be directly relevent in the ant1.x
refactoring it will be something useful to keep in mind. That may take a
little longer to write up as I are not very good at that ;)

Anyways if something looks good on the task list and you want to implement it
- we will be more than happy to see that happen. This goes the same for
everyone else.

--
Cheers,

Pete

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability in the opponent." -- Sun Tzu