ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Should ANT2 be ANT3
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:37:32 GMT
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:10, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
>
> wrote:
> > It is evident given the current state of affairs that ANT2 is at
> > least a year way or something like that.
>
> I have no idea, but I hope you are wrong.

With what we have now in place it would take 2-3 people about 3 months to get
it to alpha stage and possibly another 6 months before we hit our first
stable release.

Most of the work going into it is rearranging the libraries and adding a
"framework" layer to make building tasks easier. Once this is done it should
be trivial to write tasks - even those like facades or those that do all
dependency stuff.

I am more than happy to be one of those 3 people and could put in enough work
to get it going - any volunteers for the other two positions ? ;)

> > So, why don't we modify the road map of ANT and introduce a 2.0
> > version which performs most of the cleaning, adds some of the
> > functionality but it is based in the current architecture
>
> Because we've raised high expectations for Ant2 that wouldn't be met
> by this step.

I would go further to say that a cleanup/refactoring of ants core would
actually have a significantly negative effect. End-users care not a bit about
cleanliness of code or internal structure or even aesteics. They care about
functionality and features. A refactoring will not lead to this - only slight
added functionality and a whole bunch of incompatible build files.

Much better to wait and make only one backwards incompatible change - less
painful for users and easier for us to support aswell ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

"Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue.  Those of us who
 aren't artists must color things the way they really are or people might
 think we're stupid." -- Jules Feiffer