ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Ant2] scoping of properties
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:13:28 GMT
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:57, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> > Did we decide whether the current projects "Workspace" properties
> > would be accessible after <antcall /> (via it's "Workspace"
> > properties presumably) ?
>
> Currently, "Workspace" translates into "user property" and therefore
> the original workspace would be part of workspace of <antcall>.  We've
> not made that explicit, but we probably want to keep that (at least I
> do and I read your parens above along the same line).

+1

Question: When we create a new "execution" and we pass the current
"executions" Workspace propertys in, do we allow the creating task (ie
antcall or ant) to overide a value in current workspace ?

ie if we did

ant -Dprop1=foo

and the buildfile contained

<ant file="second.xml" ....>
  <param name="prop1" value="bar"/>
</ant>

would the value of prop1 be foo or bar ?

> >> TaskContainer scope will of course be needed by things
> >> like an <iterate> task.
> >
> > quick lets make propertys immutable then ! ;)
>
> wouldn't help that much, you can always invent your own "variable"
> mechanism and perform replacement for your "child" tasks yourself in a
> container task - I guess this is what you mean by "going to absurd
> length".

yeppo ;)

If people want to go to those lengths ... well what ever floats their boat ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete