ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Copy task and remote files
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:19:00 GMT
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:01, Magesh Umasankar wrote:
> 1.  Let <copy> work on local files only.

+1

> 2.  Let <copy> work on local files as well as remote files.
> Remote files may be dynamically generated ones too.

+1

> 3.  <copy> must do all that <get> does.

need further clarification - what else does get do ?

-1 on crufting up copy with get specifc attributes/elements

> 4.  Deprecate <get> after making sure <copy> does all that
> <get> currently does.
>
> 5.  Introduce new attribute "srcUrl" to identify the
> source URL to copy from.

+1 on some form of differentiation

> 6.  Overload "file" attribute such that it decides whether
> to treat value as a java.io.File or java.net.URL (At least 2
> committers and 1 developer have recommended against it)

-1

> 7.  Provide "username" and "password" attributes to <copy> so that
> Basic authentication for http urls can be performed, when needed.

-1

> 8.  Introduce subelement <urlset> to be used within <copy>
> <urlset>
>     <include name=http://blah.net/x.java" username=x" password="y"/>
>     <include name="file://d|foo.bar/>
> </urlset>

-1

Needs further explanation.

> 10.  Throw build exception if URL patterns that don't make sense for copy
> are used - for example mailto:

-1 Just let the underlying URL system determine when its a nogo and let it
through the exceptions.

However I would personally prefer a VFS layer and would +10000 it ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete