ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: <available> / <condition> breaking immutability
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2001 19:31:28 GMT
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 05:55, Bruce Atherton wrote:
> At 08:05 PM 11/27/2001 +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> >If I was the user and I had fubared my build setup then I would want to
> > know as early as possible.
>
> Sure, but how is your setup fubared here?

they are generating a property somehow and then changing it. This will cause
inconsistent behaviour of runtime depending on where it is used - whether the
new value or the old value is used will depend on arbitrary factors of build
file.

> What is the downside for the user
> if they don't follow exactly the developers' vision of what a property
> should be?

err ... ant wont work properly?

> I would agree with you if the property-changing behaviour of <available>
> ran counter to most peoples' expectations of how it would work,

It is. It violates the convention used in the rest of the tasks.

> Again, this is just my preference. I can see the arguments in favour of
> making the change.

yes ;)

> >Interesting idea ... needs exploration - I suspect it will be too complex.
> >However the real problem is that ant1 is not fully capable of dealing
> >with mutable properties and such a technique would need to wait till ant2.
>
> I'm not suggesting any change to code here. You already have a system that
> matches up to what I described, although it doesn't enforce the policies
> through code. I'm just talking about changing the design perspective on
> what a property is by expanding to two types. I'm trying to make it clear
> why it is still good design for your current system to have some properties
> that can be changed by certain select tasks.

Its an all or nothing thing for propertys in current scope. Either all tasks
behave way X or all tasks behave way Y but we do not really want to have a
bunch of inconsistent behaviour in a set of tasks that the user has no choice
but to memorize.

--
Cheers,

Pete