ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: <available> / <condition> breaking immutability
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:05:49 GMT
On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 16:00, Bruce Atherton wrote:
> I can also understand why there is debate around <available> and
> <condition>. In some sense, if the property is set before the task is run
> then the configuration of the build is incorrect in some way, since that
> should never be necessary save as a hack to get around immutable
> properties. It comes down to whether you want to make life easy on the user
> with an incorrectly set up build, or enforce the rigors of your paradigm. I
> tend to favour ease of use, but I'm funny that way.

If I was the user and I had fubared my build setup then I would want to know
as early as possible. The more a tool can tell me when I do something the
better - im lazy and want to do the correct thing with least amount of effort
- I am funny like that. Strangely enough I also prefer strongly typed
languages to loosly typed ones if I am doing anything as vital as maintaining
my build system (remember the build scripts are on average 10% of your code).

> In a way, this becomes very similar to what WebDAV calls "Live Properties"
> and "Dead Properties". The live ones are generated by the server, the dead
> ones are under the user's control.

Interesting idea ... needs exploration - I suspect it will be too complex.
However the real problem is that ant1 is not fully capable of dealing
with mutable properties and such a technique would need to wait till ant2.

In a way it is kinda similar to something else we have talked about. For
instance we define a fileset at the moment the list of files is generated at
the time of definition.

However there has been a few request to delay the actual "resolution" of
filesets till they are actually used. So the filelist was resolved at use
time then the value of the fileset could change overtime. Similar to you lice
time propertys and could be implemented in a similar way.

   "You can't depend on your eyes when your
   imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message