ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XML include in build.xml files
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:13:27 GMT
On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 10:04, thomas.cherel@ascentialsoftware.com wrote:
> For my current implementation the catalog is just a Java property file (I
> was just trying to validate the idea).

kool.

> I started looking at XML spec without finding anything on the syntax of
> such catalog and I am 100% open to suggestions.

Theres a few different formats for catalogs I think ... all as confusing as
hell in my mind ;) Definately something that was inherited from the SGML
world ;)

Some of the formats are specified at http://www.oasis-open.org/html/a401.htm

> I am not familiar with Norman Walshes work.

Heres one of his articles

http://www.arbortext.com/Think_Tank/XML_Resources/Issue_Three/issue_three.html

>I know that we might be able to
> find something in James Clark code (SP) even if not written in Java. This
> is the only piece of code that I saw which is able to handle catalogs.
>
> What did you mean by your last sentence: "There is also the problem that in
> some things they will never be supported"? Are you saying that there might
> some support problems in the future for calling targets in another
> build.xml file?

Well many people try to treat antcall as a method call. This is not a pattern
supported by the majority of ant committers. In fact it goes against many of
ants design goals ;) Thus when you start needing things like return values,
scopes, full parameter passing and so forth they will not be added to ant.

To get a grip of the ant philosophy from another perspective go have a read of

http://www.javaworld.com/jw-08-2001/jw-0824-myth.html

It talks about separating declarative knowledge from procedural knowledge
which is pretty much what ant aims to do ... even if it doesn't quite make it
all the time ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete