ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: removing deprecated stuff
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:09:33 GMT
On Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:54, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> why not?  Even if you supply them with a patch to their build file?
> >
> > we don't always know who "they" are.
>
> I was talking about OpenEJB where I think you know "them" quite well
> 8-)

actually they are upgrading all by themselves ;)

> > The people I am thinking of don't want to upgrade because they
> > "experienced" the early ant days. Every week would bring new
> > developments to ant ... and break the old build files and it was a
> > constant battle to keep your build working - remember those days ?
>
> Sorry, I've been there these days and I've often heard this, but it
> simply is not true - The only real changes that had an impact on your
> builds was (1) the removal of the "init" target and (2) making
> properties immutable.  After that - and long before we released Ant
> 1.1 - it has been quite stable.

Are you sure. I am sure I recall the names of attributes changing, aswell as
interpretations of some attributes. ie some files were once relative to
working directory and then changed to be relative to project file then
changed to be relative to basedir - all bugfixes and all backwards
incompatible.

It could have been prior to becoming a new top level project but I doubt that
as I only started subscribing to ant-dev the day after it became a top level
project.

Even if I am wrong and making it up, having your build stuffed twice in as
many months is a bad enough user experience - wouldn't you agree ?

--
Cheers,

Pete