ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: removing deprecated stuff
Date Sat, 24 Nov 2001 02:39:25 GMT
On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 19:26, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> First of all, Peter I agree with you to not remove the functionality
> as long as it is not doing us any harm.
>
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:
> > ... and we can't get them to upgrade their builds.
>
> why not?  Even if you supply them with a patch to their build file?

we don't always know who "they" are. For every "they" we can identify there
is probably 100 we can't. Even if we can identify them, it could be a lot of
work that some one has to commit doing. So we can't really identify/help
"they"if they are sitting behind closed doors in buisnesses, academia or
whatever.

> I made the exolab folks move the build process for AdaptX to Ant 1.4
> by (1) supplying them with a patch to their build file and (2)
> threatening that I wouldn't commit the patch for AdaptX support if
> they didn't apply mine 8-)

good move.

> You probably don't have the power to do (2), but why don't they want
> to upgrade?  The old Tomcat version is really buggy and lacks a lot of
> interesting functionality.

The people I am thinking of don't want to upgrade because they "experienced"
the early ant days. Every week would bring new developments to ant ... and
break the old build files and it was a constant battle to keep your build
working - remember those days ? ;)

Anyways the philosophy is basically - why "fix" something that isn't broken?
I can't blame them and I don't think they were the only ones with this type
of approach.

--
Cheers,

Pete