ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: removing deprecated stuff
Date Fri, 23 Nov 2001 03:59:58 GMT
On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 13:47, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>
>
> > On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 06:07, Steve Loughran wrote:
> > > 1. We can pull all references to these from the docs. This stop anybody
> > > who doesnt use them now from using them in future
> > >
> > > 2. We can put a Sleep(20) in front of each call to penalise anyone who
> > > uses them. Harsh but a nondestructive means of hinting that they should
> > > stop it.
> >
> > Most of the deprecated tasks/features issue warnings so we don't need to
> > do the sleep.
> >
> > The main reason for leaving deprecated stuff in is so that peoples build
> > files don't just fail when they upgrade but they are given warning and
> > can gracefull upgrade.
>
> If we never remove anything, then we may as well not give a warning. How
> can we say that they will ever upgrade if we guarantee anything and
> everything we have ever offered will be always continue to be there in the
> 1.x line. We may as well not deprecate anything.

deprecation does not imply that we are removing the functionality. Just that
it is unsafe, unsupported whatever or perhaps we just prefer you write build
files like this rather than that.

Similar to the way that in the jdk, the unsafe stuff or stuff that violated
later developed conventions (ala the bean spec) was marked as deprecated but
has yet to be removed.

> I still think that the best solution is to provide an automatic upgrade
> tool by providing an upgrade XSLT template. By having that, we can ensure
> that people will upgrade out of deprecated code, and be given easy
> upgradability for people with old versions of ANT.

If the XSLT file can be made safe enough then that may be an option. But
unless there is a real engineering reason for removing backwards
compatability in ant1.x then I would -1.

--
Cheers,

Pete

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." -- Maugham