ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/tar TarEntry.java
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:27:07 GMT
On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 20:23, Magesh Umasankar wrote:
> 1. To list contents of tar without actually extracting files.  Most useful
> use-case that drove me
> to add this.
> 2. To get a list of extracted files for eyeballing and/or validation
> between expected and generated.

the above 2 I like however I prefer to have the below two done some other
less hacky way ;)

> 3. A roundabout way to list contents of a directory - user can tar and then
> untar
> with just verbose turned on.
> 4. For future needs - let's say user wants a diff of two directories - one
> way is to tar contents of
> these two directories separately and then diff the verbose generated by
> untar without
> expanding it, etc.

would it be possible to refactor this into another task somehow. So unzip,
untar and unwhatever all extract the contents of the files and nothing else.

For listing we add another set of tasks <zip-list/>, <tar-list/> and
whatever. We still keep the functionality but we don't overload the meaning
of the un* tasks. Thoughts?

--
Cheers,

Pete