ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Smarter Javac
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:12:53 GMT
On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:37, Magesh Umasankar wrote:
> > because for some reason you may always compile file X with debugging,
> > while Y with no debugging. This does not mean you can't aggregate the
> > files during compiler execution
> >
> > javac -g Bar.java Baz.java
>
> How would a Javac task that takes in 2 compilers, one with debug turned on,
> other turned off, depending upon file being used be setup in build.xml
> for Ant 1.x or Ant2?  I mean, will current Javac attributes be set at the
> fileset level?

It will be multiple tasks but that does not mean that the set of data on
which these tasks operate is
a) constant over multiple builds
b) non-overlapping

The benefit I see of coloring is making it easier to use ant in large
systems. As ant doesn't yet integrate full dependency analysis in single step
there will always need to be developer awareness of issues such as
* I turned debugging off - I need to recompile
* I changed constant X in interface Y - I need to recompile

Only fixing half the problem doesn't really gain us anything - it doesn't
make ant any more relevent for usage in large projects (because it doesn't do
full dependency checking) and for small projects it is still easier to use
jikes and do a full compile.

> > That I disagree with ;) There is sometimes reasons to have different
> > colorings for different sets of files. For instance you may need to use a
> > 1.1 compiler in some parts of the build and 1.2+ in other parts.
> > Alternatively you may need to always compile some parts with debug
> > enabled (think testing code) while other bits may or may not have debug
> > enabled.
>
> Conceptually agreed.  User may want to perform these things.  But going
> back to the simple Ant 1.x world that we live in ;-), I run one task with a
> bunch of attributes that may be changed during different runs - these
> settings affect all files that this task operates upon.

and that set of files may be completely different each run of ant ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

"The perfect way is only difficult for those who pick and choose.  Do not
like, do not dislike; all will then be clear.  Make a hairbreadth
difference and heaven and earth are set apart; if you want the truth to
stand clear before you, never be for or against." - Bruce Lee