ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@rediffmail.com>
Subject Re: Smarter Javac
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2001 02:37:12 GMT

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 Peter Donald wrote :

> I think you missed my point ;)  You have to cache information per-file

Nope.  Didn't miss it.  Was looking at it from Ant 1.x's perspective
where arguments other than fileset and classpath are essentially passed
as attributes to the task instead of to individual files.

> because for some reason you may always compile file X with debugging, while Y
> with no debugging. This does not mean you can't aggregate the files during
> compiler execution
>
> javac -g Bar.java Baz.java

How would a Javac task that takes in 2 compilers, one with debug turned on,
other turned off, depending upon file being used be setup in build.xml
for Ant 1.x or Ant2?  I mean, will current Javac attributes be set at the
fileset level?

> That I disagree with ;) There is sometimes reasons to have different
> colorings for different sets of files. For instance you may need to use a 1.1
> compiler in some parts of the build and 1.2+ in other parts. Alternatively
> you may need to always compile some parts with debug enabled (think testing
> code) while other bits may or may not have debug enabled.

Conceptually agreed.  User may want to perform these things.  But going back
to the simple Ant 1.x world that we live in ;-), I run one task with a bunch
of attributes that may be changed during different runs - these settings
affect all files that this task operates upon.

> That is of course unless you want to do the work (and there is a damn lot of
> it - not an easy bit of coding IMHO), while still being backward compatible.
> If so ... woohooo ! ;)

;-)

Magesh