ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@rediffmail.com>
Subject Re: bzip2 java source reuse question
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:08:28 GMT

Copying ant-dev...  Ant-dev, please CC Keiron Liddle
(keiron@aftexsw.com) if you respond to this.

Hi Keiron,
Let me first of all convey my profound thanks for your
generous offer to donate the code under ASF license.

Acknowledgement and due recognition will be given - you
shouldn't have any worries there.

I noticed that there is still some work that needs to
be done on it, as you say, though it seems pretty
stable at least in compression and decompression. In
fact, by donating the code to Ant, it is almost
definite that the code will be further improved as it
gets to catch the attention of a lot many more eyes ;-)

Right now, I am interested in these files, at a minimum:
BZip2Constants.java
CBZip2InputStream.java
CBZip2OutputStream.java
CRC.java

However, I don't want to rule out using the other
classes.  The testing files may be useful, at least as a
source for testcases in Ant.  Though, at least in the
context of Ant, I don't think we will have much use for
the UI piece.

What I intend to do with it:

Ant already has tasks called GZip and GUnzip to compress
and decompress using GZip algorithm.  I am planning
to contribute two new tasks BZip2 and BUnzip2 to
compress and decompress using BZip2 algorithm - the
input and output streams that your code provides will
be very useful for this.  While doing this, I am also
planning to refactor GZip and GUnzip.

Please let me know when I need to refetch the code again.
Meanwhile, I will continue my work on what I have with me
now and we can always patch it up against Ant's CVS
when you provide further improvements.

Thanks,
Magesh