ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject [RT] Ant toolbox/toolchest
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:14:50 GMT

Over the last year I have been put in the position of teaching people how to
use ant and related infrastructure a few times. Each time I do this I end up
creating a zip file that contains the latest ant release + a few other
projects that we integrate with ant.

Currently Ant is a PITA to setup with somethings. Because the tasks are not
installed with the actual tools (but instead in optional.jar) you end up
having to drop the tools into ant/lib.

Anyways this distribution ends up almost always containing the same things.
So what would everyone creating a similar toolbox and distribute from Apache.
We would have to be careful about abiding by the licenses but as most of the
things I am thinking of are relatively free (Apache, BSDL, IBM or BSD
licensed) this should be doable.

Anyways I wasthinking about chucking the latest versions of all the following
into such a distribution.

* Ant
* JUnit (unit testing tool)
* JDepend (metrics generation and analysis tool)
* JRefactory (part of it is a pretty printer for javacode)
* ChangeLog task from Alexandria
* Perhaps recently announced Imporyscrubber
* Perhaps BSF + scripting engine impl

I am sure there are other tools out there that other people use

All of these tools do well if integrated into build process. We could add an
example build file that gave an example of how to use it all together.

If we wanted to allow native stuff in there we could even chuck in tools such
as cvs.exe or whatever in win32 version. There may be other things we could
integrate (unfortunately not SSH due to export restrictions).

Anyways this would all be packaged up in one nice download with a bit of
extra docuemtnation and an example - thoughts?

Clarke's Third Law: "Any technology distinguishable from
magic is insufficiently advanced".

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message