ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] No need for CLASSPATH in ANT1
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2001 01:41:04 GMT
On Wed, 7 Nov 2001 08:11, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > This has already been approved for Ant2. IIRC Conor actually did some
> > work and got this working with Ant1.x a while back (or am I imagining
> > things?).
> >
> > The problem was that it is not backwards compatible and several tasks
> > make the assumption that the system classloader contains the ant classes.
> > Hence we can't really implement it in Ant1.
>
> No offence, but isn't is possible to modify the offending tasks?

given that logic there is no need for backwards compatability at all - right?
We don't control all the offending tasks. IIRC I think some of the tasks
maintained by ant-dev were "fixed" but it is not these classes that we are
concerned about but our users.

>  What was insurmountable about it?

the -1 to backwards incompatible changes we decidd on ages ago.

Cheers,

Pete

When a stupid man is doing something he's ashamed of, he always
declares that it is his duty.
					 George Bernard Shaw