ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANT2] To <projectref> or not to <projectref>
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 04:42:04 GMT
On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:11, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> I have been thinking about the usage patterns in ANT2 and I am doubting
> the clarity of the pattern produced by <projectref> as we defined it in the
> previous discussion (some months ago).

err ... it was actually defined close to a year ago. You just went and
redefined it to mean a dynamic templating system. IIRC you even thought it
was a good idea to make build files self-modifying.

The original purpose of projectref (and import before that) was to allow one
project file to refer to another so that cross build file DAGs could be
built. The case we were given as an example was allowing catalina to refer to
jasper and make sure it was up to date.

The idea of a templating language in the core of ant has been -1'ed already
if you recall so something like you describe will never make it except as a
preprocessing stage while building project from ProjectBuilder. Even then it
will not be hosted at Apache.

--
Cheers,

Pete