ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: [Ant2] Tasks as siblings of <target>
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2001 22:20:02 GMT
On Fri, 2 Nov 2001 09:12, Tim Dawson wrote:
> Another issue that was raised that I don't quite understand is that
> supposedly preprocess/validation requires top-level tasks. I mean, wouldn't
> it be possible to just execute the init target, and then validate all the
> other targets? this is effectively what happens if you have top level
> tasks.

Then you would need to
a) restrict the possible tasks inside init to just those required (which
doesn't include all those property/available/etc) which most people would not
find useful
b) make thse constructs tasks which would require tight coupling between
runtime and tasks which would unduly restrict future evolution
c) not intuitive - imagine you had to search through a java file for an init
method and inside that was located all the java import statements.

 Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message