ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: <available> / <condition> breaking immutability
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2001 03:56:21 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Watkins" <robert.watkins@qsipayments.com>
> The particular case of using <tstamp> to time builds is probably better
> handled by a listener. Extending, say, the XML logger to put a timestamp
> against each message would be fairly easy.

Yes!

> Even using <tstamp>, you could still achieve the same effect with
immutable
> properties simply by using a different property each time.

Yes!  I knew this, but didn't think of it as a counter-argument to letting
<tstamp> be immutable to DSTAMP, TSTAMP, and TODAY.  And actually, why
aren't these just set automatically at the start of the build without having
to manually specify <tstamp>?!  :)   - this would actually make life a bit
easier so you could specify other properties relying on a datestamp before
the first <target> declaration rather than having to have an 'init' target
do this for you.

Boy, I sure am making a lot of work for myself, huh?!   Or stirring up
trouble.

    Erik