ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] No need for CLASSPATH in ANT1
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 22:34:43 GMT
From: "Glenn McAllister" <glenn@somanetworks.com>

> Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>
> > From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>
> > > The problem was that it is not backwards compatible and several tasks make
> > > the assumption that the system classloader contains the ant classes. Hence
we
> > > can't really implement it in Ant1.
> > >

> > No offence, but isn't is possible to modify the offending tasks?
> >  What was insurmountable about it?
>
> Of course its possible for us to change our tasks.  But what about custom tasks?
> We've made a reasonable commitment to break as little as possible before Ant 2.
> If we change something as potentially fundamental as that, we could break a lot of
> people.

What kind of tasks are we talking about. Can someone explain?
As far as I know, there is nothing in ANT1's API that can be thought to be guaranteeing
that classes must be loaded from the CLASSPATH.

That is make quite clear by the public entrypoint org.apache.tools.ant.Main.start()
which it is there so that things like GUIs can provide their own ClassLoader
when invoking ANT1. Given that it has been there since from at least 3 releases
I would argue that any task making CLASSPATH assumptions contins bugs
and needs to be fixed.

Jose Alberto